Shooting at party leaves 8 dead in Gqeberha

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

A mass shooting has left eight people killed, and three others injured, in Gqeberha. Preliminary investigations reveal that the shooting took place at a house party on Sunday evening. The unknown gunmen reportedly entered the yard and started shooting at the guests.

 

READ MORE: Journalists killings total 67 in last year

 

 

Seven people, three women and four men died on the scene. Four others – two women and two men – sustained injuries and are receiving hospital treatment. However, according to police, one of the victims succumbed to their injuries in hospital.

 

Notably, the birthday celebrant was among the deceased. The mass shooting took place in the Kwazakele area, in the southern port city of Gqeberha.

 

Preliminary investigations at this stage have revealed that between 17h15 and 17h30, two gunmen entered the yard in Makhanda street and started shooting at the guests

 

Police are on the hunt for the shooters, and no arrests have been made, according to police spokesperson Colonel Priscilla Naido.

 

An investigation into the circumstances surrounding this attack is underway

 

READ MORE: Ramaphosa asks Eskom to halt tariff hike

Eastern Cape police commissioner, Lieutenant General Nomthetheleli Mene regards the shooting as a “cowardice” and “blatant disregard for human life”.

 

These victims were killed by criminals, and we will not rest until we find out what happened and who was responsible for [this] callous and cold-blooded attack on these unsuspecting victims

 

National Police Commissioner, General Fannie Masemola, and Police Minister Bheki Cele are expected to lead a group of crime experts to the area this morning.

READ MORE: City’s plans to fix trains off the rails?

 

 

Heightened security is expected in the area, according to risk management company, Crisis24. They report that localised transport and business disruptions are likely – this as police conduct investigations following the shooting.

 

They advise that road users exercise caution in the area, and take alternative routes to prevent any disruptions.

 

 

Shootings in Gqeberha

 

Less than a week ago, police arrested two suspects for a series of shootings in Gqeberha. Including firing on police.

 

Two women, 38 and 35, were shot and wounded last Tuesday night, in Beaton Street, according to police reports.

 

 

Police spokesperson, Colonel Priscilla Naidu says a 30-year-old male was also found dead with multiple gunshots. While police were at the scene, they heard shots in the adjacent street. Two men were shot.

 

When the vehicle stopped in Numan Street, three suspects got out and ran away. Two suspects were found in the car – one with a gunshot wound to his leg while the other sustained multiple stab wounds

 

Naidu says police recovered three firearms. SAPS is investigating once case of murder, four cases of attempted murder and illegal possesion of firearms and ammunition.

 

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...