Manhunt launched after Harare, Khayelitsha mass shooting

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

Western Cape Police has launched a manhunt for four unknown armed suspects following a fatal mass shooting incident in Harare, Khayelitsha, that left four people dead and one person injured on Tuesday evening.

 

According to police reports, the four armed men arrived at a residence in Ntlazane Road at about 20:15, where several patrons were gathered in the yard watching a soccer match. It is believed that the premises may have been operating as an illegal liquor outlet.

 

The suspects opened reportedly opened fire on the group, fatally wounding three people at the scene. Two additional victims were transported to a local medical facility for treatment, where one of the victims later succumbed to his injuries.

 

According to police colonel, Andrè Traut, four victims, aged between 30 and 38, died as a result of the shooting, while a 59-year-old victim sustained injuries and is currently receiving medical treatment.

 

Preliminary information suggests that the motive for the attack could be linked to extortion, but, Traut says this aspect forms part of the ongoing investigation.

 

“Detectives attached to the Provincial Serious and Violent Crime Unit are following up on several leads.The suspects fled the scene on foot and have not yet been arrested.”

 

Anyone with information that could assist the investigation is urged to contact Crime Stop on 08600 10111 or submit information anonymously via the MySAPS mobile application.
All information received will be treated with strict confidentiality.

 

READ MORE: Bishop Lavis CPF raises alarm over daily killings on the Cape Flats

Danielle Mentoor
Danielle Mentoor
Danielle is Smile FM's PM drive news reader. She has been in the radio industry since 2020 and started her career at a community radio station. When she's not keeping you up to date with the latest news, she's exploring the outdoors.

Latest articles

Hawks arrest third suspect in Gugulethu attempted CIT robbery

 The Hawks have confirmed the arrest of a third suspect in connection with an attempted cash-in-transit robbery in Gugulethu two months ago. A 45-year-old man...

City to oppose appeal over Woodstock, Salt River land evictions

 The City of Cape Town says it intends to oppose the leave to appeal application lodged by activist organisation Ndifuna Ukwazi against last month’s...

SAPS seeks more victims of serial Muizenberg rapist and robber

 The South African Police Service (SAPS) in the Western Cape are searching for more individuals who may have fallen victim to an operation in...