Malema: more EFF members to move to MK party as Floyd exits

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

The now former EFF deputy president Floyd Shivambu has announced that he will join former president Jacob Zuma’s uMkhonto weSizwe party.

 

Shivambu officially announced his resignation from the Economic Freedom Fighters on Thursday morning at an urgent EFF press conference in Marshalltown. This comes after Shivambu co-founded the Red Berettes 11 years ago.

 

During a press conference, EFF president Julius Malema said he was devastated when he learnt that Shivambu did not renew his membership with the party and was not aware that he would make this move.

 

 

Malema has stated that several other members of the EFF, who are loyal and in alliance with Shivambu, will (with time) likely also move to the uMkhonto weSizwe party.

 

“Floyd [Shivambu] is NOT the only one. Jimmy Manyi has also resigned to go and join MK. There will be many others who are going to leave the EFF because they have got their loyalty and support to the Deputy President.”

 

 

When asked by media attendees which other party members would join the MK Party, Malema said that he could not provide a list of who would be joining as he was unaware of the deputy president’s exit.

 

 

Malema added that the Constitution of the EFF does not allow members to resign and join other Political parties, and then return back to the red berrets. The party leader has however made an offer to Shivambu that if he decides to return to the party, he will be welcomed back.

 

After enquiring him about the reasons for his exit from the EFF, Shivambu said he will not talk about the MK Party while at an EFF press conference. The exact reasons for the non-renewal of his membership are still unknown at this stage.

 

READ MORE: Winde & Ramakgopa collaborate to keep lights on in the province

Danielle Mentoor
Danielle Mentoor
Danielle is Smile FM's PM drive news reader. She has been in the radio industry since 2020 and started her career at a community radio station. When she's not keeping you up to date with the latest news, she's exploring the outdoors.

Latest articles

Hawks arrest third suspect in Gugulethu attempted CIT robbery

 The Hawks have confirmed the arrest of a third suspect in connection with an attempted cash-in-transit robbery in Gugulethu two months ago. A 45-year-old man...

City to oppose appeal over Woodstock, Salt River land evictions

 The City of Cape Town says it intends to oppose the leave to appeal application lodged by activist organisation Ndifuna Ukwazi against last month’s...

SAPS seeks more victims of serial Muizenberg rapist and robber

 The South African Police Service (SAPS) in the Western Cape are searching for more individuals who may have fallen victim to an operation in...