fbpx
11.2 C
Cape Town
Saturday, July 13, 2024

‘Limit or get rid of ministers’ perks’, says Build One South Africa

Published on

 

 

As the country ushers in one of its largest cabinets in history, Build One South Africa (BOSA) said many ministerial perks should be restricted or removed.

 

 

The 77-seat cabinet is an increase from the 65 seats in the previous administration. Late Sunday night, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced his new cabinet, which sparked widespread reaction from politics, civil society organisations and the public. The announcement follows a lengthy impasse, as the ANC, the DA and other parties in the Government of National Unity (GNU) worked to find common ground.

 

 

BOSA’s acting spokesperson Roger Solomons said his party appealed to Ramaphosa to establish a National Convention – consisting of all 18 Parliamentary Parties – to decide on a new government that represents the interests of all 60 million South Africans. The party, which is led by Mmusi Maimane, secured 2 seats in parliament, and 1 seat in the Gauteng Provincial Legislature.

 

mmusi maimane BOSA

 

READ MORE: RECAP: President Ramaphosa announces GNU cabinet

 

 

The party said considering that this is now one of the largest National Executive’s in democratic history, it is strongly opposed to extending patronage using cabinet positions.

 

 

“We are clear in our belief that the following perks limited and or removed; blue light brigades, VIP security detail, million-rand luxury cars, business class flights, travel and catering benefits, and free ministerial houses with generators that cushion ministers from rolling power cuts,” said Solomons.

 

Lizell Persens
Lizell Persens
Lizell is a Cape Town-based news anchor, reporter and transcriptionist. She has been a journalist for the past 10 years, and started her career as a TV producer. The avid reader enjoys writing poems, fast cars, music, travelling, and exploring new food.

Latest articles

WC government’s preparedness ahead of next cold front

    Western Cape Premier Alan Winde said all hands are on deck to deal with the impact of more inclement weather. This as an orange...

‘Schools will remain open’, says WC Education Department

      Eight-two schools in the Western Cape have so far reported weather-related damage to schools. Most incidents are reportedly minor, with 31 cases regarded as...

More weather warnings as storms batter the Western Cape

    While disaster management officials are still assessing the damage caused by the past weekend's stormy weather, preparations ahead of the next cold front are...