21.6 C
Cape Town
Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Kleinmond SAPS probe Betty’s Bay baboon killing

Published on

 

The Kleinmond police have opened an inquest docket after a young male baboon was allegedly shot and killed in Betty’s Bay last week.

 

According to the Overstrand Municipality, the body of the deceased young male baboon was found in Silversands on Wednesday and reported to the Baboon Hotline later that afternoon.

 

The Baboon Management Team reportedly responded to the site and conducted an investigation where no blood trail or immediate signs of foul play were evident.

 

Overstrand Municipal Manager, Dean O’Neill, says the body was collected and taken to the Veterinarian for a post-mortem examination to determine the cause of death. The autopsy results revealed a small penetrating wound on the right side of the chest.

 

“X-rays and further post-mortem examination confirmed a penetrating wound to the right caudal lung lobe, resulting in a haemothorax, which ultimately caused the death of the baboon,” said O’Neill

 

According to O’Niell, the projectile was removed, confirming that this was the cause of death, and was handed over to the Kleinmond SAPS along with other available information.

 

The municipality has reminded residents that it holds the necessary permits and training to implement its baboon adaptive management plan, using non-lethal and non-harmful tools and techniques.

 

“It is an offence to hunt a baboon without authorisation.”

 

Such illegal activities could result in penalties including a fine not exceeding R10 000, two years’ imprisonment, or both. The discharging of an airgun or firearm in a built-up area is a contravention of the Firearms Control Act 60 of 2000, and conviction may result in up to five years’ imprisonment and the convicted person being declared unfit to possess firearms.

 

“Shooting baboons not only inflicts unnecessary pain on the animal but also disrupts their natural behaviour and the delicate social balance within their troop.”

 

The municipality added that humane and non-lethal methods of managing human-wildlife conflict are needed that safeguard both animal welfare and community safety.

 

Members of the public who may have any information that could assist the investigation are urged to contact Kleinmond SAPS on 028 271 8200.

 

READ MORE: Final baboon action plan approved

Danielle Mentoor
Danielle Mentoor
Danielle is Smile FM's PM drive news reader. She has been in the radio industry since 2020 and started her career at a community radio station. When she's not keeping you up to date with the latest news, she's exploring the outdoors.

Latest articles

Parow e-hailing driver arrested for fake license making equipment

 Metro Police officers arrested a motorist in Parow last week, after he was found in possession of equipment which could be used to make...

Spanish national fined R500k for illegal reptile trafficking in WC

 A Spanish national has been convicted in the Vredendal Regional Court for the illegal possession and importation of protected reptile species from the Northern...

Cachalia: plans to address WC crime and gang violence

 Acting police Minister, Firoz Cachalia, says the South African Police Service (SAPS) is finalising a revised stabilisation plan to address the ongoing gang violence...
error: Content is protected !!