Infants’ bodies found over three days in Kraaifontein

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

 

The bodies of two infants have been found in the same Kraaifontein community within days of each other.  

 

The first incident was reported on Monday, when police were informed that a newborn baby girl was found by a passerby in Wallacedene, for which an inquest docket was opened

 

“The baby was declared deceased on the scene by medical personnel. The circumstances surrounding the incident are under investigation and arrests are yet to be made,” said Western Cape police spokesperson, Wesley Twigg.  

 

Then two days later, on Wednesday, SAPS spokesperson, Sergeant Wesley Twigg, confirmed that another newborn baby girl was found dumped in a sewage drain in Maroela Road, also in Wallacedene. 

 

This discovery was made in the Vosho Informal Settlement.  

 

“Police members attended to the crime scene where the baby was pointed out in the drain. The baby was declared deceased on the scene by medical personnel,” said Twigg.

 

Twigg confirmed that police are also probing the circumstances surrounding this incident, with no arrests related to this incident having been made yet.  

 

SmileFM has previously reported on at least four other similar incidents this year.  

 

This includes the discovery of a foetus in a plastic bag in Wesbank, along Appleby Street on 18 August.  

 

In Kraaifontein again, days before the abovementioned incident, the body of an infant was found. The baby was dumped in a rubbish bin in Bloekombos on 13 August.  

 

Then, in the winelands, a month prior, municipal workers uncovered parts of a foetus at a sewer pump station in Klapmuts. 

 

READ MORE: Foetus found in Wesbank, as police probe similar incidents – Smile 90.4FM

 

Another body of a newborn was discovered in Lingelethu West in Khayelitsha in May. The infant was also dumped in a bin in iLitha Park.  

 

Police have not confirmed whether arrests have been made in any of the mentioned cases, but have appealed to anyone with information on these incidents to come forward 

Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin is an enthusiastic journalist, that has been exploring her interest in broadcast media since 2019. With a natural curiosity for the world around her, you'll always find her poking around hidden gems throughout Cape Town and surrounds.

Latest articles

Elderly couple arrested in Melkbosstrand for trying to “buy a child”

  Detectives are continuing their investigation into an elderly couple’s alleged attempt to “buy a child”.  A Western Cape SAPS spokesperson, Colonel Andre Traut, said officers...

More charges against Malmesbury minor accused of sexual exploitation; psychiatric evaluation

  The Malmesbury minor facing charges for the alleged sexual exploitation of children, as part of an international online extremist group, is expected to undergo...

Parly inquiry into gang violence in WCape, in hopes of eradication

  Parliament has begun its inquiry into gang violence in the Western Cape.   It opened its investigation with the Parliamentary Summit on Gang-Related Violence on...