Forced labour is happening in China, UN expert

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

In a recent report to the United Nations General Assembly, an expert on slavery said it was “reasonable to conclude” that forced labour was taking place in China. The report was compiled by Tomoya Obokata, a special rapporteur on contemporary forms of slaves.

  • UN special rapporteur says forced labour is enacted on ethnic minorities such as the Uighurs in China
  • The report shows that forced labour happens under the region’s vocational skills programme and a poverty assistance programme that transfers surplus labourers to other work
  • China has denied allegations of human rights abuse, including genocide
  • Uighur support groups and activists welcomed the report, hoping China can be held accountable

 

 

Obokata concluded that there was evidence of forced labour within the far-western region of China, where activists say that more than 1 million ethnic Muslims (Uighurs) are detained in camps. He further added that forced labour existed in the region’s system of skills education and training centres, and a poverty relief programme that involves the transferring of excess rural labourers to other work.

“Further, given the nature and extent of powers exercised over workers during forced labour, including excessive surveillance, abusive living and working conditions, restriction of movement through internment, threats, physical and/or sexual violence, and other inhumane or degrading treatment, some instances may amount to enslavement as a crime against humanity, meriting a further independent analysis,” Al Jazeera reports Obokata said. He notes that while such efforts created a form of employment for ethnic minorities as claimed by the Chinese government, evidence points to the work being of an involuntary nature.

China has since denied allegations of human rights abuses – including genocide – crediting its centres with reducing violent extremism and poverty. Wednesday, last week, the Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson, Wang Wenbin, accused Obokata of spreading disinformation and being a tool for anti-China forces. “We protect the equal right of workers from all ethnic groups to seek employment, to participate in economic and social life, and to share the dividends of socioeconomic progress. Some forces manipulate Xinjiang-related issues and fabricated the disinformation on ‘forced labour in Xinjiang.”

 

The president of the Uighur Association of Victoria in Melbourne, Australia welcomed the UN report. Alim Osman told Al Jazeera that it is a relief to see the United Nations “finally recognise” the extent of these atrocities. He further added that tangible actions need to hold the Chinese government accountable for its crimes. “We have been telling the world for years that China uses Uighur slavery as an essential tool [that is] enabling China’s economy and making the ongoing Uyghur genocide a profitable venture,” Osman told Al Jazeera.

The rapporteur’s findings come after Canada, the European Union, the United Kingdom and the United States imposed sanctions on people and businesses linked to suspected cases of human rights violations in the region.

 

 

Obokata highlighted in his report, the persistence of domestic servitude in the Gulf countries, Colombia and Brazil, and traditional slavery in Mali, Niger and Mauritania. According to End Slavery Now, domestic servitude is the seemingly normal practice of having live-in domestic help, “is used as cover for the exploitation and control of someone, usually from another country”.

Also included in the report are the concerning number of countries that practice forced child marriages, including Somalia, India, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Bolivia and Honduras to name a few.

 

READ MORE:

Heat wave in China forces factory shut down

Timeline: The decades long conflict between Gaza and Israel

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...