19.9 C
Cape Town
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Extension of reduced fuel levy being considered; announcement soon

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

 

Finance Minister Enoch Godongwana is planning to announce next week whether the fuel levy reduction will remain in place.  

 

He said this during a National Assembly meeting on Tuesday, after Build One South Africa leader, Musi Maimane, urged him to keep the reduced levy while the war in the Middle East continues. 

 

The government recently reminded motorists that the temporary reduction of the levy by R3 will be in place until 5 May. This, however, is subject to review over the next two months. 

 

 

 

Godongwana has indicated that he’s been in discussion with Mineral Resources Minister Gwede Mantashe.  

 

“I will probably make the necessary announcement on the 28th [of April] on Tuesday, in that regard,” said Godongwana.  

 

During Tuesday’s Parliament sitting, reference was made to the South African Revenue Service (SARS) having achieved R2 trillion in collections, which Maimane believes could offset the reduced levy.  

 

However, Godongwana noted that despite SARS’s achievements, there are still shortfalls.

 

“What he [Maimane] misses is that the expenditure is 2.4 trillion. Which means we are 400 billion short. The debt service costs are also of a similar amount, which means this year we’ll have to borrow about R800 billion,” said Godogwana.  

 

According to reports, the fuel levy cut is costing the country around R6 billion. Godgongwana had previously noted that the levy cut could only be offered for a limited time.  

 

Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin is an enthusiastic journalist, that has been exploring her interest in broadcast media since 2019. With a natural curiosity for the world around her, you'll always find her poking around hidden gems throughout Cape Town and surrounds.

Latest articles

UPDATE: “Compliance check” and crackdown on illegal immigrants in CPT CBD

  Several groups of workers were carried away in police vans from a construction site on Lower Long Street in Cape Town's CBD on Wednesday...

WATCH: DIRCO condemns Israel for flotilla interception

  The International Relations Department (DIRCO) has condemned the illegal seizure of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with South African nationals on board.   The flotilla of about 50 ships was carrying...

Elderly man dies after falling into sea in Mossel Bay

  A 79-year-old man has died after falling into the sea at The Point in Mossel Bay.  The National Sea Rescue Institute said its Mossel Bay team received...
error: Content is protected !!