City law enforcement officer arrested for attempted murder

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

 

An investigation is underway into the case of a City of Cape Town Law Enforcement officer, who is accused of attempted murder. The suspect was arrested in Bishop Lavis on Tuesday, and scheduled to appear in court on Friday.

 

While police are tight-lipped on any further information on the case, reports suggest that the suspect allegedly had underworld links. He is believed to have plotted with a known gang leader, currently on trial, to assassinate a witness. Authorities have not confirmed any such details.

 

“SAPS can confirm that a law enforcement officer is scheduled to appear in court in Bishop Lavis, following his arrest on Tuesday for attempted murder. The circumstances surrounding the case are still under investigation, and no further information can be disclosed at this time,” said Western Cape Police spokesperson, Colonel Andre Traut.

 

The City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security, JP Smith, confirmed the City’s involvement in the officer’s arrest. Smith noted that he had been under surveillance for some time prior.

 

“The Safety and Security Information Management Services (SSIMS) had started making initial inquiries into the officer’s alleged criminal links at least three months ago, and also notified the Hawks,” said Smith.

 

Smith said the City worked with the SAPS’ Crime Intelligence and Anti-Gang Unit to carry out the suspect’s arrest. He further stressed the seriousness with which the matter is being treated.

 

“The City takes a dim view of any attempts at dishonesty and illegal behaviour on the part of staff. Allegations are taken very seriously, and where evidence is found to suggest further action, the City will act immediately and hand over those implicated for further prosecution by SAPS.”

 

Smith confirmed that the officer, initially hired through the EPWP programme in 2020, had become a permanent employee.

 

A suspension notice is currently being prepared as internal disciplinary processes proceed.

 

ALSO READ: Two more suspects arrested for brazen Wynberg court shooting

Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin is an enthusiastic journalist, that has been exploring her interest in broadcast media since 2019. With a natural curiosity for the world around her, you'll always find her poking around hidden gems throughout Cape Town and surrounds.

Latest articles

Elderly couple arrested in Melkbosstrand for trying to “buy a child”

  Detectives are continuing their investigation into an elderly couple’s alleged attempt to “buy a child”.  A Western Cape SAPS spokesperson, Colonel Andre Traut, said officers...

More charges against Malmesbury minor accused of sexual exploitation; psychiatric evaluation

  The Malmesbury minor facing charges for the alleged sexual exploitation of children, as part of an international online extremist group, is expected to undergo...

Parly inquiry into gang violence in WCape, in hopes of eradication

  Parliament has begun its inquiry into gang violence in the Western Cape.   It opened its investigation with the Parliamentary Summit on Gang-Related Violence on...