Brutal killings shock Delft: 12-year-old’s body found

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

 

The Delft community has been left reeling after the bodies of a child and an unidentified man were discovered in the area this week.

 

On Wednesday afternoon, police responded to a disturbing discovery on an open field in Renoster Street, Leiden. A mutilated and burned body of a 12-year-old boy was found. He had reportedly gone missing the night before.

 

According to SAPS spokesperson, Captain Frederick Van Wyk, the circumstances surrounding the boy’s murder are under investigation, with the motive currently unknown. Police have yet to make any arrests, and authorities are urging anyone with information to come forward.

 

Jacky Ockhuizen, Public Relations Officer and leader of the Delft Community Policing Forum (CPF), expressed the community’s horror at this brutal crime.

 

“He was brutally killed somewhere else and [dumped] on this field next to the church in Leiden.”

 

Ockhuizen says one individual has been questioned, but no significant leads have been reported as yet.

 

In light of this incident, Ockhuizen called for greater police visibility and resources to address the rising violence in the area.

 

In another shocking incident, the decomposing body of a man was found near the premises of a local primary school in The Hague. Ockhuizen says the body was discovered in a ditch near the school fence.

 

It is suspected that the man had been lying there for several days. Ockhuizen believes that this death may be gang-related, though the exact cause is still under investigation.

 

No arrests have been made as yet, but Delft police are appealing to anyone with information to come forward.

 

“Delft police registered an inquest for investigation following the discovery of the body of a 28 year old male on Thursday. A post mortem will be conducted to determine the cause of death,” said police spokesperson, Anelisiwe Manyana.

 

READ MORE: We are losing the battle against violent crime

Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin is an enthusiastic journalist, that has been exploring her interest in broadcast media since 2019. With a natural curiosity for the world around her, you'll always find her poking around hidden gems throughout Cape Town and surrounds.

Latest articles

Elderly couple arrested in Melkbosstrand for trying to “buy a child”

  Detectives are continuing their investigation into an elderly couple’s alleged attempt to “buy a child”.  A Western Cape SAPS spokesperson, Colonel Andre Traut, said officers...

More charges against Malmesbury minor accused of sexual exploitation; psychiatric evaluation

  The Malmesbury minor facing charges for the alleged sexual exploitation of children, as part of an international online extremist group, is expected to undergo...

Parly inquiry into gang violence in WCape, in hopes of eradication

  Parliament has begun its inquiry into gang violence in the Western Cape.   It opened its investigation with the Parliamentary Summit on Gang-Related Violence on...