fbpx
11.2 C
Cape Town
Saturday, July 13, 2024

Another fisherman missing at sea, this time near Shelley Point

Published on

 

 

One fisherman is missing while another has died. The incident occurred after their open snoek fishing boat reportedly capsized near Shelley Point, St Helena Bay.

 

Two other anglers survived the incident.

 

The National Sea Rescue Institute’s Craig Lambinon explained that the boat reportedly capsized at the backline breakers. When rescue authorities arrived at the scene, they found three of the four men on the beach and the watercraft was found washed ashore on the beach.

 

Despite efforts to resuscitate one of the men, he was declared deceased. Police have opened an inquest docket.

 

 

“Two survivors, local adult males, were treated on the scene, by paramedics, for non-fatal drowning symptoms and injuries. One of the survivors was transported to hospital by EMS ambulance in a stable condition. One survivor was not transported to hospital and he was transported to his home by Police. A search commenced for one missing man,” said Lambinon.

 

However, there is still no trace of the missing fisherman.

 

“SAPS WPDS (Water Policing and Diving Services) were activated and Police divers are continuing in ongoing search efforts for the missing man,” said Lambinon.

 

WEATHER WARNING

 

Meanwhile, the South African Weather Service has issued a yellow level 2 warning of damaging waves. This could potentially result in the possibility of coastal users being swept off low-lying rocks and difficulty in navigation at sea. This can be expected between Saldanha Bay and Cape Agulhas until Wednesday morning.

 

The incident comes mere days after two deadly shore-related incidents that involved fishing.

 

READ MORE: UPDATE: Search for 11 fishermen called off

 

Last Tuesday 14 May, Pierre Lotter and his uncle Willem Pretorius went fishing with their three dogs at Bloubergstrand. They were caught off guard by a high tide, which swept them away. The men and animals all drowned.

 

Over the weekend, 20 anglers were aboard Sea Harvest’s FV Lepanto, when it sank 30 nautical miles from Hout Bay. Only nine of the seamen survived the incident.

 

On Monday, Western Cape Premier Alan Winde and Cape Town mayor Geordin Hill-Lewis visited the families of the 11 men who are still lost at sea.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lizell Persens
Lizell Persens
Lizell is a Cape Town-based news anchor, reporter and transcriptionist. She has been a journalist for the past 10 years, and started her career as a TV producer. The avid reader enjoys writing poems, fast cars, music, travelling, and exploring new food.

Latest articles

WC government’s preparedness ahead of next cold front

    Western Cape Premier Alan Winde said all hands are on deck to deal with the impact of more inclement weather. This as an orange...

‘Schools will remain open’, says WC Education Department

      Eight-two schools in the Western Cape have so far reported weather-related damage to schools. Most incidents are reportedly minor, with 31 cases regarded as...

More weather warnings as storms batter the Western Cape

    While disaster management officials are still assessing the damage caused by the past weekend's stormy weather, preparations ahead of the next cold front are...