Hawks arrest third suspect in Gugulethu attempted CIT robbery

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

The Hawks have confirmed the arrest of a third suspect in connection with an attempted cash-in-transit robbery in Gugulethu two months ago.

 

A 45-year-old man was arrested on Thursday for his alleged involvement in the incident. He made his first appearance in the Athlone Magistrates Court on Friday.

 

The attempted robbery took place on 5 June 2026, after an IZI Cash armoured vehicle had loaded cash into ATMs at Gugulethu Mall.

 

According to the Hawks, a silver Mercedes-Benz allegedly rammed into the armoured vehicle before unknown suspects opened fire. A white Ford Bantam bakkie, also carrying suspects, then opened fire on the cash vehicle, resulting in an exchange of gunfire between the suspects and the crew.

 

“The exchange of fire ensued between the suspects and the crew. The cash vehicle, which was riddled by bullets managed to escape to a safe place,” said Hawks spokesperson, Zinzi Hani

 

According to Hani, no one was injured and no cash was taken during the attack. The suspects subsequently abandoned both vehicles.

 

The latest arrest follows an intelligence-driven investigation into the attempted robbery.

 

The first suspect, aged 39, was arrested on 9 July following an operation involving the Hawks’ National Priority Violent Crime team, members from POCC and the K9 Unit. A second suspect, aged 26, was arrested on 16 July for his alleged involvement in the robbery.

 

The Hawks say two suspects, Chumani Sibinda and Siphamandla Mhambi, are currently in custody in connection with the matter. They are due back in court on 26 August for their bail application.

 

The latest suspect is expected to make his first court appearance as investigations into the attempted cash-in-transit robbery continue.

 

READ MORE: Robbers shot during attempted courier hijacking in Gugulethu

Danielle Mentoor
Danielle Mentoor
Danielle is Smile FM's PM drive news reader. She has been in the radio industry since 2020 and started her career at a community radio station. When she's not keeping you up to date with the latest news, she's exploring the outdoors.

Latest articles

City to oppose appeal over Woodstock, Salt River land evictions

 The City of Cape Town says it intends to oppose the leave to appeal application lodged by activist organisation Ndifuna Ukwazi against last month’s...

SAPS seeks more victims of serial Muizenberg rapist and robber

 The South African Police Service (SAPS) in the Western Cape are searching for more individuals who may have fallen victim to an operation in...

WATCH: CPUT shuts campuses following Bellville campus fire

 The Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) Management has confirmed that it has made the decision to shut campuses, including all residences. This decision was...