21.1 C
Cape Town
Monday, May 18, 2026

Atlantis mother & another arrested, after alleged sexual abuse of 11-year-old

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

 

A 30-year-old mother from Atlantis has been arrested in connection with the alleged sexual abuse of her 11-year-old daughter, who reportedly fell pregnant and has since given birth. 

 

The Western Cape SAPS initially noted that a sexual abuse case was opened for investigation at the Atlantis police station, and was later transferred to the Milnerton Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit. 

 

Provincial police spokesperson, Captain F.C. Van Wyk, confirmed that the minor’s mother appeared in the Atlantis Magistrate’s Court on Thursday on a charge of failing to report a sexual offence. It is not clear when she was arrested. Van Wyk noted that the suspect is in custody until her next court appearance.  

 

The National Prosecuting Authority’s Eric Ntabazalila further confirmed the accused’s appearance. The accused is not being named to protect the child victim’s identity.  

 

“I can confirm that the mother appeared last week on a charge of failure to report a sexual offence. Her case has been postponed until tomorrow morning (19-05-2026),” said Ntabazalila.  

 

Van Wyk further advised on the arrest of a second suspect on Friday. He’s due in court on Monday. According to reports, he is believed to be the accused’s boyfriend. 

 

“A 32-year-old male was arrested on Friday, 2026-05-15 on a warrant of arrest. He will appear in the Atlantis Magistrates court on Monday, 2026-05-18.”  

 

Meanwhile, Atlantis ward councillor Allistair Lightburn condemned the incident. 

 

“I cannot phantom the idea that an adult will impregnate a child of 11 years old and the mother that is complicit to this heinous crime. Her innocence have been robbed,” said Lightburn.  

 

He called on the authorities to ensure that justice is served, adding that the Atlantis community is shocked by the incident.  

 

“The community are livid about these developments and will turn up in their numbers at court.”  

 

The child has reportedly been moved to a place of safety. Police investigations are ongoing.

 

Click HERE to make us your trusted source of news on Google
Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin is an enthusiastic journalist, that has been exploring her interest in broadcast media since 2019. With a natural curiosity for the world around her, you'll always find her poking around hidden gems throughout Cape Town and surrounds.

Latest articles

Flood relief available at Newlands Cricket Stadium

  Locals adversely affected by last week’s floods can, from today (18 May 2026), get some much-needed essentials at the Newlands Cricket Stadium.   This is...

12-year-old killed, while waiting for school transport, on Polkadraai Rd

  As the Stellenbosch community mourns the death of a 12-year-old boy earlier this week, locals are hoping this prompts authorities to heighten traffic control measures along Polkadraai Road.   The young boy, identified as Calvin...

Search ends in tragedy as missing man’s body found in Breede Valley

  The search for a man who went missing near the Botha Wine Farm along the Breede River has ended in tragedy after his body...
error: Content is protected !!