Western Cape schools damaged due to adverse weather

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

The Western Cape Education Department has confirmed that a number of schools have been left damaged as severe weather conditions persist in parts of the province.

 

On Tuesday, the department advised that schools in certain areas of the Eden and Central Karoo Education District will be closed on Wednesday and Thursday in the interests of learner and teacher safety.

 

According to the department, this decision was made after extensive consultation with the Provincial Disaster Management Centre and the South African Weather Service (SAWS). As a result, schools in certain areas of the Eden and Central Karoo Education District were closed.

 

The affected schools have received official notice of the closure from the Head of Department and have been requested to communicate the closures to parents. All other schools in the Western Cape will be open unless approval has been granted for closure.

 

western cape school damage
Image: Damage at Avontuur Primary School near Uniondale

 

Around 89,000 learners were at home on Tuesday as 125 schools in the chosen districts were closed.

 

“Our default position is always to keep schools open and only close schools in exceptional circumstances, but we made the decision based on the severity of the warnings in place,” added WCED Minister David Maynier

 

Maynier says the department will continuously monitor and evaluate the situation to ensure that schools can reopen as soon as possible.

 

While all schools are expected to open on Friday, Maynier says the department will, however, evaluate the weather prediction for the end of the week to determine whether any individual school closures are necessary.

 

READ MORE: WC response teams on high alert for adverse weather

Danielle Mentoor
Danielle Mentoor
Danielle is Smile FM's PM drive news reader. She has been in the radio industry since 2020 and started her career at a community radio station. When she's not keeping you up to date with the latest news, she's exploring the outdoors.

Latest articles

Hawks arrest third suspect in Gugulethu attempted CIT robbery

 The Hawks have confirmed the arrest of a third suspect in connection with an attempted cash-in-transit robbery in Gugulethu two months ago. A 45-year-old man...

City to oppose appeal over Woodstock, Salt River land evictions

 The City of Cape Town says it intends to oppose the leave to appeal application lodged by activist organisation Ndifuna Ukwazi against last month’s...

SAPS seeks more victims of serial Muizenberg rapist and robber

 The South African Police Service (SAPS) in the Western Cape are searching for more individuals who may have fallen victim to an operation in...