32.6 C
Cape Town
Monday, February 16, 2026

Two charged for allegedly beating “street” children in Oudtshoorn

Published on

 

 

Kindly note that the video embedded below, sourced from Facebook, contains profanities and depicts scenes of alleged assault. Viewer discretion is advised. 

 

A 75-year-old man and a 52-year-old woman appeared in the Oudtshoorn Magistrates’ Court on Monday morning, following the circulation of a video showing children allegedly being assaulted in Oudtshoorn. 

 

The video appears to show a woman striking children with a long stick-like object, while the children cry out in pain. 

 

The incident allegedly took place on Friday, 13 February 2026, at the corners of Van der Riet and Kruid Streets. 

 

Western Cape SAPS spokesperson Sergeant Wesley Twigg confirmed that the man was arrested on the day of the incident and that the woman was taken into custody on Sunday.  

 

The spokesperson for the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), Eric Ntabazalila, confirmed that the suspects, Johan Scholtz and Gerda Tait, made their first court appearance on 16 January.

 

Their charge sheet notes that they appeared on three counts of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, for allegedly hitting three children with a “plastic pipe”. One of three was allegedly shot “with a paintball [gun] on the body”, the charge sheet read.  

 

The case was postponed to 23 February for a bail application.  

 

Prior to their court appearance, Twigg noted that the case of grievous assault was initially registered but was later “changed to attempted murder”. The Oudtshoorn Community Policing Forum (CPF) added that this change followed allegations that the children were shot with a paintball gun.  

 

“All allegations will be fully investigated. Child abuse and any form of assault is not tolerated in a law-abiding society. The community is requested to remain calm while the investigation continues,” said the CPF in a statement.  

 

At this stage, it is unclear whether the change announced by the police will be adopted by the NPA.

 

A local community leader, Chad Louw, also addressed the matter publicly, noting that an official complaint had been lodged with the South African Human Rights Commission. He added that the matter has received national attention, with the “National Youth Chairperson of SAPS Crime Prevention Mr. Rataza Redemption”. 

 

“Regardless of what the children involved may or may not have done, under no circumstances should violence be used. If there was wrongdoing, there are legal and proper processes in place to address it,” said Louw.  

 

 

Police investigations are ongoing. 

Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin is an enthusiastic journalist, that has been exploring her interest in broadcast media since 2019. With a natural curiosity for the world around her, you'll always find her poking around hidden gems throughout Cape Town and surrounds.

Latest articles

Anti-crime group slams plan to deploy army to Cape Flats

  The Cape Crime Crisis Coalition (C4) have voiced its opposition to plans to deploy the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) to fight gang...

Atlantis man arrested for hacking mother-in-law to death

  A 35-year-old man is facing a murder charge for the death of his 67-year-old mother-in-law in Atlantis, following a brutal attack allegedly carried out...

WATCH: Multiple Overstrand communities protest together

  Scores of people across several communities in the Overstrand region gathered in protest on Thursday to highlight their grievances over service delivery and other...
error: Content is protected !!