UPDATE: body found in Phillipi East could be linked to kidnapped businessman

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

UPDATE:

 

Western Cape Police detectives have confirmed that the body of an unidentified man that was found in Phillipi East on the 16th of September, could be linked to that of missing businessman, Roger Brijlal.

 

Detectives traced the body to the Salt River Mortuary on Wednesday. According to police, it is too early to release further details at this stage, as a formal identification is still pending.

 

As investigations into the matter are still ongoing, police are still actively probing both a kidnapping case for the missing 59-year-old businessman and a murder case for the body that was found.

——————————————————————————————————

Police have launched an investigation into the kidnapping of Milnerton businessman, Roger Brijlal, after his abandoned car was discovered in Joe Slovo earlier this month.

 

According to police reports, Brijlal, a prominent business owner in the area, was last seen on the morning of 9 September. When he did not return home later that day, his fiancée grew concerned and reported him missing at Milnerton SAPS.

 

Later, Brijlal’s vehicle was found abandoned in Joe Slovo, raising fears about his safety.

 

Following the missing person’s report, Police Sergeant Wesley Twigg says his fiancée then received a phone call demanding a ransom for his safe return.

 

Police have since confirmed that a case of kidnapping and extortion has been opened. The exact circumstances surrounding the incident are still under investigation, and no arrests have been made at this stage.

 

Authorities have appealed to members of the public to assist in the investigation.

 

“Anyone with information that could aid the search is urged to contact Crime Stop on 08600 10111,”

 

The kidnapping has sent shockwaves through the Milnerton business community, with many expressing concern over rising crime in the area and calling for swift action to ensure Brijlal’s safe return.

 

READ MORE: Five arrested for murder of 14-year-old in Elsies River

Danielle Mentoor
Danielle Mentoor
Danielle is Smile FM's PM drive news reader. She has been in the radio industry since 2020 and started her career at a community radio station. When she's not keeping you up to date with the latest news, she's exploring the outdoors.

Latest articles

Hawks arrest third suspect in Gugulethu attempted CIT robbery

 The Hawks have confirmed the arrest of a third suspect in connection with an attempted cash-in-transit robbery in Gugulethu two months ago. A 45-year-old man...

City to oppose appeal over Woodstock, Salt River land evictions

 The City of Cape Town says it intends to oppose the leave to appeal application lodged by activist organisation Ndifuna Ukwazi against last month’s...

SAPS seeks more victims of serial Muizenberg rapist and robber

 The South African Police Service (SAPS) in the Western Cape are searching for more individuals who may have fallen victim to an operation in...