City urges State to oppose bail for accused killer of traffic officer

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

The City of Cape Town has expressed deep concern after the State decided not to oppose bail for Craig De Lilly, the taxi driver accused of murdering City Traffic Services officer Walton Van Rooyen in 2020.

 

De Lilly appeared in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court on Monday after being re-arrested last Friday, more than five years after the initial case was provisionally withdrawn.

 

He faces charges of murder and illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition. The matter was postponed to 28 July for the appointment of a legal representative.

 

Van Rooyen, 49, was gunned down in his patrol vehicle on 17 March 2020, shortly after arresting the suspect for a traffic violation.

 

An investigation by the City’s Safety and Security Investigations Unit (SSIU), in collaboration with SAPS detectives, led to De Lilly’s initial arrest. However, the charges were dropped a month later due to insufficient evidence—until new information recently surfaced.

 

Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security, Alderman JP Smith, welcomed the re-arrest, calling it a long-overdue step toward justice.

 

“This arrest brings new hope, and I can only imagine the family are as happy as I am that justice will be done. I met with Officer Van Rooyen’s family at the time, and they were devastated by his senseless murder. The release of the suspect was a bitter experience, knowing his alleged killer may get away with no consequences,” said Smith.

 

However, the City has now criticised the State’s decision not to oppose De Lilly’s release on bail, particularly in light of the accused’s prior convictions for robbery and rape.

 

“We plead with the State to reconsider its stance. The death of Officer Van Rooyen left his family, colleagues, and friends devastated. While the reasons for the unopposed bail application remain unclear, we call on the courts to use their discretion when the matter returns to court next week,” Smith said.

 

“We believe individuals accused of murdering officers in the line of duty should not be allowed to roam our streets while on trial. If we cannot protect our officers, we cannot protect the public.”

 

The City has reiterated its call for the justice system to treat crimes against law enforcement officers with the seriousness they deserve.

Latest articles

Pressure on the Springboks as Rugby’s Greatest Rivalry moves to Cape Town

 Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus says his team has been in difficult positions before and knows exactly what is required to keep the Rugby Championship...

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...