Eight injured after Golden Arrow bus petrol bombed in Gugulethu

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

Eight people have been injured after a Golden Arrow Bus Services (GABS) bus was reportedly set alight in Gugulethu in the early hours of Monday morning.

 

According to the bus company, reports from the scene suggest that a petrol bomb was thrown by assailants at Duinefontein and Govan Mbeki just before 7 am. GABS spokesperson Bronwyn Dyke-beyer says the assailants used darkness and the homes around them as cover.

 

Dyke-Beyer says the fire was reportedly extinguished by the City’s Law Enforcement and Traffic Services officers.

 

In a short statement issued by Golden Arrow, it confirmed that the eight passengers who were injured in the attack are receiving medical attention.

 

Dyke-Beyer added that a second bus was also attacked, but the fire on the second bus was quickly extinguished, and no injuries were reported in that incident.

 

“Diversions are in place [and] these attacks are callous and extremely dangerous and cannot simply be accepted as the norm,” said Dyke-Beyer

 

Smile FM have contacted police regarding the incident. Police Sergeant Wesley Twigg says they have been made aware of a bus which was set alight in Govan Mbeki Road; however, no criminal cases have been registered as yet.

Danielle Mentoor
Danielle Mentoor
Danielle is Smile FM's PM drive news reader. She has been in the radio industry since 2020 and started her career at a community radio station. When she's not keeping you up to date with the latest news, she's exploring the outdoors.

Latest articles

Hawks arrest third suspect in Gugulethu attempted CIT robbery

 The Hawks have confirmed the arrest of a third suspect in connection with an attempted cash-in-transit robbery in Gugulethu two months ago. A 45-year-old man...

City to oppose appeal over Woodstock, Salt River land evictions

 The City of Cape Town says it intends to oppose the leave to appeal application lodged by activist organisation Ndifuna Ukwazi against last month’s...

SAPS seeks more victims of serial Muizenberg rapist and robber

 The South African Police Service (SAPS) in the Western Cape are searching for more individuals who may have fallen victim to an operation in...