City sees drop in cellphone impounds as less drivers text and drive

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

The City’s Traffic Services have recorded a downturn in cellphone impoundments and fines over the past two years – likely due to a combination of increased in-vehicle technology and greater compliance from road users

 

“The phenomenon of distracted driving continues to be a challenge, but the downturn in statistics does suggest that some drivers have stopped blue-ticking our appeals to not use their cellphones while driving,” said Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security, JP Smith.

 

Smith says officers are also mindful that newer vehicles come with standard features that allow for hands-free use of devices, and that has likely played a role.

 

“We will continue to enforce the law and make our roads safer for everyone, but this status update is encouraging news indeed.”

 

Cellphone impounds dropped by 16% between July 2022 and June 2024, while fines for cellphone-related offences dropped by 11,5%.

 

Projections for this financial year point to further reductions.

 

City records drop in cellphone impounds as less drivers text and drive

The use of cellphones while driving is prohibited by the National Road Traffic Act, and motorists can be fined.

 

The City’s Traffic by-law also addresses the issue, and indicates that no person may drive a vehicle on a public road while holding a mobile telephone in one or both hands or any other part of the body.

 

The bylaw also makes provision for cellphones to be impounded.

 

Devices can be reclaimed once the fine and impoundment release fees are paid. Those that are not claimed are disposed of.

 

The City has also re-focused its efforts to donating cellphones to Neighbourhood Watches (NW).

 

Since June 2024, a total of 226 cellphones have been donated to NWs in a number of areas, including Kleinvlei, Mfuleni, Diep River, Sir Lowry’s Pass Village, Khayelitsha, Atlantis, Delft, Manenberg and Mitchells Plain.

 

In the most recent handover, Alderman Smith handed over devices to the Edgemead NW on Thursday, 24 April 2025.

 

“These smartphones are especially useful for Neighbourhood Watches to access our Trusted Partner App, which was specifically designed to improve communication and coordination between safety stakeholders.”

 

city

 

Smith says that at their most recent mass information session for Neighbourhood Watches, the City featured a demonstration on how this app enhances incident reporting and real-time response efforts.

 

THIS ARTICLE WAS COMPILED BY THE CITY OF CAPE TOWN’S MEDIA TEAM

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...