Probe underway into fire near Cape Town Railway station

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

 

 

A fire that engulfed several train coaches near Cape Town Railway Station on Tuesday evening, is under investigation by local authorities.

 

Spokesperson for the City’s Fire & Rescue Service, Jermaine Carelse, said services were called out to the scene for an emergency incident on Tuesday, at approximately 21:10. Carelse said upon assessment of the situation, additional resources were called out.

 

“The first arriving crews called in additional resources, including a type 4 Incident Management Team (IMT), to coordinate operations,” said Carelse.

 

Carelse said that technicians with the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA) were also called out to cut off electricity supply, as part of firefighting efforts.

 

The fire was extinguished just before midnight. It is said that at least 10 coaches were gutted in the fire.

 

No injuries were reported in the incident.

 

Western Cape police spokesperson, Frederick Van Wyk, said the damaged coaches were burned in similar incidents in the past. He added that a case of damage to infrastructure has been registered at Cape Town Central SAPS. Van Wyk is urging anyone with information to come forward.

 

Spokesperson for PRASA, Zino Mihi, confirmed that the agency is conducting its own investigation into the matter.

 

The cause of the fire remains unknown.

 

ALSO READ: Cape Town fires spark concern over possible arson

 

Earlier that day, PRASA and Metrorail in the Western Cape announced plans to introduce additional trains on the Northern Line, from Strand to the city centre.

 

 

Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin is an enthusiastic journalist, that has been exploring her interest in broadcast media since 2019. With a natural curiosity for the world around her, you'll always find her poking around hidden gems throughout Cape Town and surrounds.

Latest articles

Elderly couple arrested in Melkbosstrand for trying to “buy a child”

  Detectives are continuing their investigation into an elderly couple’s alleged attempt to “buy a child”.  A Western Cape SAPS spokesperson, Colonel Andre Traut, said officers...

More charges against Malmesbury minor accused of sexual exploitation; psychiatric evaluation

  The Malmesbury minor facing charges for the alleged sexual exploitation of children, as part of an international online extremist group, is expected to undergo...

Parly inquiry into gang violence in WCape, in hopes of eradication

  Parliament has begun its inquiry into gang violence in the Western Cape.   It opened its investigation with the Parliamentary Summit on Gang-Related Violence on...