18.9 C
Cape Town
Friday, April 4, 2025

Afrikaner ‘refugee’ queries directed to US Embassy in SA

Published on

 

After receiving a huge number of inquiries from ‘Afrikaners’ about resettlement in the USA, the South African Chamber of Commerce in the USA (SACCUSA) has written to the US State Department and the US Embassy in South Africa, to provide official guidance to Afrikaners who wish to apply for refugee status in America.

 

According to reports, SACCUSA received 20,000 email inquiries less than two days after President Donald J. Trump signed his Executive Order on February 7, which offers Afrikaners refugee status due to their alleged mistreatment in South Africa.

 

SACCUSA head Neil Diamond told media outlets that given the scale of the interest they estimate that the 20,000 figure could be extrapolated to represent over 50,000 individuals looking to leave South Africa and seek resettlement in the United States.

 

The order instructs the US Secretary of State and the Secretary of Homeland Security to take steps to “prioritize humanitarian relief, including admission and resettlement” for Afrikaner “refugees escaping government-sponsored race-based discrimination, including racially discriminatory property confiscation.”

 

ALSO READ: Trump officially halts aid to SA, offers to resettle Afrikaner ‘refugees’

 

In a statement, SACCUSA says it cannot perpetually serve as an intermediary for inquiries related to this matter, hence the request for the US Embassy to take over.

 

“This transition ensures that the public receives accurate and official guidance from the appropriate U.S. government authorities and related agencies.”

 

The U.S. Embassy has activated an email address for this purpose: pretoriaprminfo@state.gov

 

South Africans have reacted to the Executive Order in a mixed manner. Many Afrikaners are distancing themselves from it, while others have welcomed it. The backlash against the Trump administration has also continued.

 

 

 

 

Many on social media have also been poking fun at the whole debacle:

 

 

 

 

 

Get Smile FM News on your phone! Join our WhatsApp channel HERE.

 

Liesl Smit
Liesl Smit
Liesl is the Smile 90.4FM News Manager. She has been at Smile since 2016, with nearly 20 years experience in the radio industry, including reading news, field reporting and producing. In 2008 she won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Award, Western Cape region. liesl@smile904.fm

Latest articles

National Assembly passes the 2025 budget

  The crucial fiscal framework of the 2025 Budget has officially been adopted by Parliament following a vote by Members of Parliament (MPs) today.   The framework...

Justice for Cwecwe: SAPS urges responsible reporting as Afriforum slams ‘trial by media’

  Following nation-wide protests yesterday to demand justice for the 7-year-old girl who was raped in Matatiele in October last year, the National Police Commissioner...

GNU in turmoil as DA accuses ActionSA and ANC of betrayal over budget deal

  The DA's future in the Government of National Unity now seems uncertain after ActionSA offered the ANC its support to pass the budget.   During a...