Ramaphosa calls for peace in DRC as SANDF death toll rises

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

President Cyril Ramaphosa and his Rwandan counterpart, Paul Kagame, have agreed that an urgent ceasefire is needed in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.

 

This is amid rising regional conflict, specifically in Goma since last week. This is as M23 rebels try to gain more control over territory in the region. There are reports that rebels have moved into Goma.

 

Thirteen South African soldiers, deployed as part of the Southern African Development Community and UN peacekeeping mission, have been killed in the conflict in recent days.

 

The death toll rose after three SANDF members were caught in crossfire between multiple forces near Goma Airport on Monday, 27 January. A fourth additional soldier died from injuries sustained during fighting last week, bringing the death toll to thirteen.

 

 

ALSO READ: Nine SANDF members killed in DRC: ‘Ramaphosa must break his silence’

 

The Presidency says Ramaphosa recently had a telephone call with Kagame, during which they also agreed that peace talks by all parties to the conflict also need to resume.

 

The phone call comes as criticism grows from opposition parties, claiming the SANDF is not adequately equipped.

 

Meanwhile, the SANDF has moved to clarify the context behind a viral video doing the rounds, showing its troops raising a white flag.

 

The SANDF says there have been misleading claims suggesting that SANDF forces surrendered to M23 rebels, but this is incorrect.

 

Head of Communications Siphiwe Dlamini says the raised white flag was an outcome of discussions between the opposing fighting forces to agree on a truce to allow M23 to recover their dead and injured in the vicinity of the SANDF base.

 

This was also done to open the route for troops to access medical facilities, but the discussions reportedly failed.

 

“This is common practice in any war. Let members of the public not be alarmed by a video clip and its meaning.”

 

Dlamini says the SANDF remains fully committed to its peacekeeping responsibilities under the United Nations Stabilisation Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO) and SADC Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (SAMIDRC).

 

“Our troops continue to operate with resolve, courage, and discipline in pursuit of peace and stability in the region.”

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...