E-Hailing driver defrauds Danish tourist out of R650k in Simons Town

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

A foreign national e-hailing driver have been arrested in Simons Town on Wednesday morning on a charge of fraud amounting to R650 000.

 

The 30-year-old Zimbabwean man was charged following an investigation by Simons Town police who received a complaint from a Danish man who claimed the e-hailing driver gained access to his credit card.

 

According to police, the incident happened on Tuesday night when the e-hailing ride allegedly took the 21-year-old Danish man and two friends from Cape Town to Simons Town.

 

Police Colonel Andre Traut says, the three complainants dozed off during the ride and it is suspected that the e-hailing driver gained access to one of their credit cards and sent the information to his brother in Europe where seven purchases at luxury boutique shops were made.

 

The Danish tourist became aware of the purchases during the early hours of Wednesday morning when he received notifications on his phone.

 

After attempts by the tourist to reach the e-hailing driver were unsuccessful, he decided to open the case with the Simons Town police.

 

“This is where Sergeant Henry Simons used his initiative and booked an e-hailing service with the specific driver, using the phone at the court building, not raising suspicion by using a number connected to the police station.”

 

According to Col. Traut, the suspect reported for the ride at the court building where he was questioned and arrested. The 30-year-old Zimbabwean man is charged and is expected to make his first court appearance in Simons Town.

 

Police have called on any person who possibly fell victim to a similar modus operandi are kindly requested to contact Simons Town police on 021 7868646 or Crime Stop on 08600 10111.

 

READ MORE: COCT warns against fake posts on free travel with MyCiTi

Danielle Mentoor
Danielle Mentoor
Danielle is Smile FM's PM drive news reader. She has been in the radio industry since 2020 and started her career at a community radio station. When she's not keeping you up to date with the latest news, she's exploring the outdoors.

Latest articles

Hawks arrest third suspect in Gugulethu attempted CIT robbery

 The Hawks have confirmed the arrest of a third suspect in connection with an attempted cash-in-transit robbery in Gugulethu two months ago. A 45-year-old man...

City to oppose appeal over Woodstock, Salt River land evictions

 The City of Cape Town says it intends to oppose the leave to appeal application lodged by activist organisation Ndifuna Ukwazi against last month’s...

SAPS seeks more victims of serial Muizenberg rapist and robber

 The South African Police Service (SAPS) in the Western Cape are searching for more individuals who may have fallen victim to an operation in...