UPDATE: Prince William coming to Cape Town

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

UPDATE: The Earthshot team have advised that only Prince William will be attending the prestigious prize giving ceremony in November.

 

Earlier, Mayor Geordin Hill-Lewis’s spokesperson said both the Prince and Princess Catherine were scheduled to attend.

 

Mayor Geordin Hill-Lewis says the City looks forward to welcoming the Prince.

 

”We are proud to be associated with this global event, as a leading City for environmental protection and innovation on the African continent.”

 

It the first time that the annual Earthshot prize giving ceremony will be held in South Africa.

 

The Earthshot Prize was launched by Prince William in 2020 to search for innovative solutions to the world’s greatest environmental challenges.

 

Taking place across five days of landmark events, Earthshot Week 2024 will shine the spotlight on groundbreaking environmental solutions and bring together world-leading innovators, investors and philanthropists, with the aim to drive forward the restoration and protection of the planet.

 

15 Finalists have been announced, with five winners each being awarded £1 million to scale their solutions.

 

The finalists include three African start-ups, two from Kenya and one from Ghana.

 

Categories in which these finalists have proposed Earth friendly solutions include fixing the climate, restoring oceans, cleaning the air, and building a waste free world.

 

The prize giving ceremony will be followed by Earthshot+, a day of thought-provoking conversations aimed at multiplying the impact of The Earthshot Prize Winners and Finalists.

 

 

Fans of Princess Catherine will be disappointed that she will no longer visit the Mother City. It would have been her first international tour since her cancer scare, which saw her undergo intensive chemo-therapy earlier this year.

 

Shortly after completing her chemo-therapy, in September, the Princess announced to the world that she will be focused on staying “cancer free”, in a very personal video message released by Kensington Palace.

 

She had been out of the public eye for much of the year, but has participated in select meetings and events, since completing her treatment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Liesl Smit
Liesl Smit
Liesl is the Smile 90.4FM News Manager. She has been at Smile since 2016, with nearly 20 years experience in the radio industry, including reading news, field reporting and producing. In 2008 she won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Award, Western Cape region. liesl@smile904.fm

Latest articles

Former Knysna councillor, local taxi boss shot dead a day after former Mayor’s killing

 The Knysna Municipality has confirmed that one of the men killed in a shooting in Bongani on Thursday night, 20 August, was a former...

LOOK: TIK manufacturing lab uncovered in Limpopo, five foreign nationals arrested

 The Hawks have struck a blow to the drug trade after uncovering a massive crystal methamphetamine (TIK) manufacturing facility in Limpopo. Officers, acting on intelligence,...

“You cannot rely on a dead man Mr Adams” – Fadiel Adams criticised for invoking late General Andre Lincoln during Madlanga testimony

 Suspended Member of Parliament Fadiel Adams is back in the hot seat at the Madlanga Commission on Thursday, where his testimony is under intense...