Fish Hoek: Masiphumele taxi threats to scholar transport untrue

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

The South African National Taxi Council (SANTACO) in the Western Cape has refuted claims that learners above a certain age in Fish Hoek will be prevented from using private scholar transport.

 

This comes after a letter circulating on social media informed residents in the Fish Hoek and Masiphumelele area that learners above 11 years old should no longer make use of private scholar transport and would be forced to use public transport from the 1st of September 2024.

 

The letter,which was written in vinac and that appeared to have a Cape Amalgamated Taxi Association (CATA) letterhead, caused widespread panic among parents in the area.

 

Masiphumele taxis threatens scholars in the area

 

SANTACO chairperson Mandla Hermanus says the council have engaged with the CATA Regional Taxi Council to establish the veracity of the letter.

 

“We further engaged the Chairperson of the primary association in Masiphumelele, who has assured Santaco WC that there is no truth in the contents of the letter that is in circulation.”

 

Hermanus has reassured concerned parents that it will be “bussiness as usual” in September. No scholar transport in the area will be stopped and no learner will be prevented from using private scholar transport.

 

The taxi association says it has conveyed the same message to the community of Masiphumelele at a community meeting held on Wednesday afternoon.

 

READ NORE: Loop & VISA foster the digitised future of the taxi industry

Danielle Mentoor
Danielle Mentoor
Danielle is Smile FM's PM drive news reader. She has been in the radio industry since 2020 and started her career at a community radio station. When she's not keeping you up to date with the latest news, she's exploring the outdoors.

Latest articles

Hawks arrest third suspect in Gugulethu attempted CIT robbery

 The Hawks have confirmed the arrest of a third suspect in connection with an attempted cash-in-transit robbery in Gugulethu two months ago. A 45-year-old man...

City to oppose appeal over Woodstock, Salt River land evictions

 The City of Cape Town says it intends to oppose the leave to appeal application lodged by activist organisation Ndifuna Ukwazi against last month’s...

SAPS seeks more victims of serial Muizenberg rapist and robber

 The South African Police Service (SAPS) in the Western Cape are searching for more individuals who may have fallen victim to an operation in...