18.4 C
Cape Town
Friday, April 4, 2025

Joslin Smith: Four people being questioned

Published on

 

Western Cape detectives are currently questioning four individuals as part of an extensive investigation into the disappearance of six year old Joslin Smith from Diazville in Saldanha Bay on the West Coast.

 

The little girl disappeared on 19 February. At the time, police say the girl’s mother Kelly Smith said she left Joslin with her boyfriend for the day, but when she returned from work, Joslin was missing and the boyfriend could not account for her whereabouts.

 

The investigation saw the team of detectives visiting several places within the West Coast town and interviewing several other persons.

 

The search for Joslin brought individuals, NGOs, community activists, police officials, neighbourhood watches and representatives from different spheres of government together in the quest to find the missing girl.

 

For days they searched identified vast areas in Saldanha Bay.

 

Speculation has been rife on social media, and police have repeatedly called on individuals not to share unverified information or interfere with the investigation.

 

The MEC of Police Oversight and Community Safety Reagen Allen has also appealed to the public to allow the police space to conduct their investigation without interference and the peddling of unconfirmed information.

 

Various media outlets reported overnight that suspects had been arrested in connection with the little girl’s disappearance, along with other unverified information that usually only comes out during a criminal trial.

 

The Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security JP Smith shared his frustration that information was ”leaked” to the media.

 

“This severely hampers the current investigation as it now gives warning to those who may be implicated.”

 

Smith lashed out at what he says is reckless and irresponsible journalism.

 

Police Brigadier Novella Potelwa says it is envisaged that as the investigation unfolds light will be shed as to her whereabouts or what happened to Joslin.

 

The four persons being interviewed by the team of investigators are two men and two women aged between 26 and 34.

 

Potelwa says with the investigation gaining momentum arrests are on the cards.

 

ALSO READ: Joslin Smith: Clothing found on open field sent for forensic analysis

Liesl Smit
Liesl Smit
Liesl is the Smile 90.4FM News Manager. She has been at Smile since 2016, with nearly 20 years experience in the radio industry, including reading news, field reporting and producing. In 2008 she won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Award, Western Cape region. liesl@smile904.fm

Latest articles

National Assembly passes the 2025 budget

  The crucial fiscal framework of the 2025 Budget has officially been adopted by Parliament following a vote by Members of Parliament (MPs) today.   The framework...

Justice for Cwecwe: SAPS urges responsible reporting as Afriforum slams ‘trial by media’

  Following nation-wide protests yesterday to demand justice for the 7-year-old girl who was raped in Matatiele in October last year, the National Police Commissioner...

GNU in turmoil as DA accuses ActionSA and ANC of betrayal over budget deal

  The DA's future in the Government of National Unity now seems uncertain after ActionSA offered the ANC its support to pass the budget.   During a...