Baby and mother reunite two months after Turkey quakes

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

A baby girl and her mother have been reunited after being separated by the pair of devastating quakes that hit southern Turkey this year. The baby girl, then just one month old, was under the earthquake rubble in Turkey for 128 hours. The quakes struck Turkey and northern Syria in early February, killing over 50,000 people.

 

The mother was first thought to have died in the debris. Authorities rescued the baby and put her under state care. Nurses called the baby Gizem Bebek, which means mystery baby in Turkish. Turkey’s health ministry reports that she did not suffer any health problems.

 

READ MORE: Four killed at ‘Sweet 16’ birthday party, Alabama

 

Nearly two months after the earthquakes, mother and baby are together. The child’s real name is Vetin and is now three-months-old. The little one spent five days stuck under the rubble of a building in the Hatay province, southern Turkey.

 

mother
Earthquake survivor mother Yasemin reunites with her baby girl Vetin as Derya Yanik, Minister of Family and Social Services, looks on at a hospital in Adana / MINISTRY OF FAMILY AND SOCIAL SERVICES HANDOUT / REUTERS

 

A DNA test confirmed that their relationship.

 

 

‘Vetin is now our baby too’

Turkey’s Family and Social Services Minister, Derya Yanik, helped reunite the mother and daughter. “One of the most priceless tasks in the world is reuniting a mother with her child,” said Yanik. “Being a part of that happiness meant a lot to us as well.”

 

Yanik shared a video in which showed government officials personally helping to bring the two together. Baby Vetin travelled to Adana from Ankara on a private plane!

 

54 days of longing is over. Vetin Begdaş, who was rescued from the wreckage after 128 hours and named Gizem Bebek by our nurses, was reunited with her mother after 54 days. Vetin is now our baby too. As the Ministry, our support will always be with you — Derya Yanık (@deryayanikashb)

 

 

READ MORE: Who is the best: Table Mountain v Mount Kilimanjaro

 

The mother and daughter duo are the only survivors from their family. The father and two brothers died when the earthquakes struck.

 

At least 1,774 children returned to their families in Turkey officials told CBS News. Some media reports say over 56,000 people died in the earthquakes on February 6.

 

The Family and Social Services Ministry says at least 135 children are under state care in the wake of the destruction. The identity of about 33 are unknown as they are too young or unable to identify themselves, reports CBS News.

 

READ MORE: Man kills four children in axe attack at Brazilian crèche

 

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...