71 year old Strand grandmother raped by her grandson

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

A 27-year-old man is expected to appear in the Strand Magistrates Court on Wednesday, for the alleged rape of his grandmother.

 

It is however believed that the 71-year-old grandmother was raped on the 13th of August (last Tuesday) by her grandson in Strand.

 

According to police, due to the sensitive nature of this incident, it will not divulge any details pertaining to the incident.

 

It has however made an appeal is made to anyone who can shed light on the circumstances to please call Crime Stop on 08600 10111.

 

The Western Cape Community Policing Forum (CPF) has expressed its outrage following the attack and has demanded that the police, prosecutors, and the judiciary take immediate and decisive action to ensure that the perpetrator act is held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.

 

“During what should be a month of celebrating and honouring women, this heinous crime has cast a dark shadow over Women’s Month.”

 

Provincial CPF has further called for a swift and just process that ensures the safety and dignity of all women, particularly our elderly, who are too often vulnerable to such atrocities.

 

“It is time for us to rise and declare, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! We must protect those who cannot protect themselves.” WC CPF board member – Justin Kumlehn

 

Kumlehn says the Western Cape Provincial Community Police Board, alongside the National Community Police Consultative Forum Chairperson, will join fellow community members in a peaceful picket outside the court during the alleged suspect’s appearance on Wednesday.

 

The forum has further urged all civil society organizations, Community Police Forums, and concerned citizens to join them in demanding that the perpetrator be denied bail.

“This offender must not be allowed to walk free.”

 

READ MORE: 17 year old boy arrested for murder of Deveney Nel

Danielle Mentoor
Danielle Mentoor
Danielle is Smile FM's PM drive news reader. She has been in the radio industry since 2020 and started her career at a community radio station. When she's not keeping you up to date with the latest news, she's exploring the outdoors.

Latest articles

Hawks arrest third suspect in Gugulethu attempted CIT robbery

 The Hawks have confirmed the arrest of a third suspect in connection with an attempted cash-in-transit robbery in Gugulethu two months ago. A 45-year-old man...

City to oppose appeal over Woodstock, Salt River land evictions

 The City of Cape Town says it intends to oppose the leave to appeal application lodged by activist organisation Ndifuna Ukwazi against last month’s...

SAPS seeks more victims of serial Muizenberg rapist and robber

 The South African Police Service (SAPS) in the Western Cape are searching for more individuals who may have fallen victim to an operation in...