Titanic wreck comes alive in unseen footage

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

Haunting new footage of the wreckage of the RMS Titanic was released to the public. The footage was taken in 1986 during diving expeditions that gave the first glimpses of the sunken ocean liner. Notably, the footage comes seven decades after the notorious sinking.

READ MORE: Protests mar start of academic year at UCT and UWC

 

The Titanic, 70 years later

The footage shows the ship as explorers first saw it in 1986. The team would then return to make 11 more dives and using a submersible that could carry human passengers. They also used a small remote vessel to navigate smaller spaces.

 

 

The 80 minutes of rare unseen video comes from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute (WHOI) of Massachusetts. They partnered with French explorers in the discovery of the ship’s remains.

 

For seven decades, the Titanic remained lost and hidden below the icy ocean. On September 1, 1985, teams from the WHOI and the French National Institute of Oceanography discovered the wreckage in Canada. Its bow splits from the stern. It was buried 3780 metres below the water’s surface.

READ MORE: Warship not welcome in Cape Town waters

 

Titanic. A submersible named Jason Jr inspecting small spaces in the wreackage
A submersible named Jason Jr inspecting small spaces in the wreckage / WHOI

 

A blockbuster anniversary

The release commemorates the 25th anniversary and re-release of the blockbuster movie, Titanic. Its director and writer, James Cameron, is still an avid supporter of Titanic research. The film is one of only three to have won 11 Academy Awards and stars Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio.

 

James Cameron is also behind the 2003 documentary Ghosts of the Abyss. It captures some stunning images of the Titanic during an expedition two years prior. Cameron also funded and co-piloted a submersible built for the project.

 

 

 

The legacy of the RMS Titanic

The ocean liner was on its maiden voyage from Southampton (UK) in April 1912, when it hit an iceberg on the way to New York City (US). The collision was fatal. More than 1500 passengers and crew members died when the ship sank.

 

Recent visits to the wreak reveal signs of decay. The liner split into two main chunks while sinking.

 

A series of dives by Eyos Expeditions in 2019 was the first in 14 years. It showed that the wreck was heavily impacted by metal-eating bacteria and natural salt corrosion. The Eyos founder, Rob McCallum said:

 

Diving on the Titanic is a complex and difficult undertaking. The logistics of working at 12,500ft while 370 miles offshore are challenging

 

The wreck remains, according to McCallum, one of the most ‘iconic and exclusive’ destinations on the planet.

READ MORE: Rapper AKA shot dead in Durban

 

Latest articles

Pressure on the Springboks as Rugby’s Greatest Rivalry moves to Cape Town

 Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus says his team has been in difficult positions before and knows exactly what is required to keep the Rugby Championship...

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...